Notifications
Clear all

What's an Orgasm?

rumel
(@rumel)
Illustrious Member Customer
Topic starter  

Guys,

In a recent thread member 'Korkelz' said "...I was asking if I could consider my experience a dry orgasm. The problem is that I can't find a definition of the "orgasm" part of "dry orgasm."' Korkelz' has indirectly raised the issue of semantic differences in the terms we use on this Forum and I'm fairly certain this has lead to some confusion and misunderstandings of the information we are attempting to communicate here. I have been pondering this for a short while, did some web searches for definitions of an orgasm. Here's one that I thought was pretty OK, but limited - "orgasm : The peak of sexual excitement, characterized by strong feelings of pleasure and by a series of involuntary contractions of the muscles of the genitals, usually accompanied by the ejaculation of semen by the male." I think the Wikipedia definitions for orgasm are probably better yet but this is a term which may not have universal agreement. The Aneros WIKI does touch upon the expanding nature of the term orgasm but doesn't provide any specifics. We've had numerous discussions here about what constitutes a Super-O but not much about what constitutes an ordinary Orgasm.

When I use the term orgasm, I am using it as an expanded term, to encompass a wider range of phenomena, inclusive of but beyond the association to sexual activity. This includes the euphoric rapture experienced by people from religious practices (i.e. Whirling Dervish, Shakers, etc.), convulsive, hysterical laughter, or other pleasurable involuntary body tremors brought about by various stimuli (e.g. 'tickling'). To me, these are all forms of orgasm and all are characterized by some form of pleasurable, involuntary (non-consciously directed) muscle spasms/contractions. I would not characterize epileptic seizures as orgasmic events and there are some events which may or may not be considered orgasmic depending upon the association to pleasure (i.e. electro-ejaculation).

Just as we say there are various intensities of Super-O's, so too are there various intensities to ordinary orgasms, from almost undetectable to howling great. I think each of us establishes a personal criteria for where our particular experience falls along the orgasmic spectrum and one man's mini-orgasm may only be a pleasant sensation to another. YOU get to decide the scale you wish to use, my scale won't likely coincide with your scale but that is perfectly OK. I hope we don't get too hung up on trying to establish a definitive boundary for such a wide ranging experience as an orgasm, this is an experience which is really beyond the ability of words to convey meaning.

So let's hear from the membership and give 'Korkelz' some additional feedback for him to establish his personal scale of mini-O to Super-O.

(@ten_s_nut)
Prominent Member Customer

rumel;

Your general point about how everybody gets to set their own scale for orgasm or orgasmic is well taken.

Furthermore, I think we can all agree that for each of us, orgasms vary in intensity from time to time, including plain old ejaculatory ones. Anyone who's been sexually active for a decade can attest to the "Oh, I guess I just came" experience when their orgasm was almost a non-event. And then there were those amazing teen ejacs that hit the headliner of the car's backseat. Remember the girl who made you do that?

Likewise with an Aneros orgasm, some are big and some are small. Some have a peak and others just go on and on.

Let's not get hung up on definitions.

Cheers,

Dave

PS. My apologies for being a board hog. Just one of those days. 😉

D.

ReplyQuote
 rook
(@rook)
Member Adventurer

Great thread rumel.

Despite the many definitions out there, I think we Aneros users and KSMO students are able to provide a better answer.

It's easiest for me to think of an "Orgasm" as the envelope that gathers together, organizes, directs and manages body and brain resources that express it in the physical and/or mental phenomena that we appreciate. It seems to measure the reserves in each of these resources and automatically perpetuates the action until the reserves are at some critical low level.

For me, it's the Orgasm that provides the pleasure and distributes it to the resources -- those provide the focus and provide the 'entertainment.' 🙂

For me, this generic description works for Physical, Visual, or Auditory resources, individually or in combination. I'm not yet qualified to address the Tao forms of orgasm so need a lot of help with what happens beyond nerve, fascia and muscle.

As for "Super" -- I measure that by the number of resources in play and the fineness and intensity and balance of their employment.

ReplyQuote
(@korkelz)
Reputable Member Customer

rumel, great post. Is it alright if I quote your PM?

If you are enjoying your Anerosessions, does it really matter if these experiences are corresponding to some artificial criteria established by your ego? Does it really matter if something is a dry-O or not? What does it matter if you can't really control your progress at all? There is not much you can do to accelerate your progress but there are sure a lot of obstacles you can erect to slow it down.

You bring up two critical points (if I understand them correctly):

1. Does it matter? I guess at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is enjoyment and progressing to even more enjoyment.
2. Involuntary bodily tremors (including involuntary abdominal and other contractions) are just as orgasmic as pelvic contractions.

So, let's think about this while also applying knowledge I've learned in the past. I've been feeling stuck in torturous pleasure waiting for the orgasm to come. With that said, let's take a few steps back, because... wait a minute... I've been learning to feel satisfied and so very greatful during a period of no pleasure after a peak period of pleasure. I've even told myself to pretend that the period of no pleasure is a result of an orgasmic release. And before this I've been learning to not desire ejaculation as a requirement for feeling satisfied. Wait a minute! Some people have explained that a great session is when you experience pleasure until you just can't handle it anymore or getting too exhausted... that doesn't sound like a grand release to me, rather it sounds like deciding not to feel the pleasure any longer. Does this explain the possibility of me feeling stuck? Maybe I'm still expecting something that just isn't part of my journey to the super-o.

Does a dry orgasm have to feel like "ejaculating but nothing comes out?" I've actually experienced involuntary "pushing" (reverse kegel) which was actually quite pleasurable, felt like my body was trying to ejaculate in a way.

ReplyQuote
(@teejay)
Member Adventurer

Everybody is different. My sessions are characterized by long periods of what I call "CLO": continuous low orgasm. That is, what I describe as "Coming in slow motion". It's internal and not penile in nature but it's very good ... I will then experience plateau where the pleasure is directly in my prostate but I cannot come. I will then experience penile orgasms that are just like sex but with no ejaculation. Then I will phase back into CLO for a while. This cycle will go on until I run out of gas. It's a great thing because when all is said and done, I will have experienced constant orgasm, in one form or another, for close to an hour or so. That's pretty good.

ReplyQuote
(@pommie)
Noble Member Customer

TeeJay,

I'm with you all the way.

I regularly experience exactly what you have just described. I just have a different name for it and call it my "Near Orgasm Zone" (NOZ).

I reckon I have had a great session if I can get into the NOZ. It is almost out of this world if I can remain without effort, in the NOZ for an hour or more. I then am usually too exhausted to continue much beyond that!

ReplyQuote
(@captain-faust)
Member Adventurer

This article I found has a lot of good information on recent scientific studies on the neurology of the orgasm.
Discovery Health "What happens in the brain during an orgasm?"

It doesn't have many citations, which bothers me, but it doesn't seem to contradict any of the actual papers that I've read.

ReplyQuote
(@inhope)
Member Adventurer

I think tee jay said best here; it's different for everyone. My normal orgasms are intense, especially from sex so much so that it almost makes me weep! Not everyone can say the same.... So the same logic applies to aneros use and prostate orgasms, different in how they happen, are experienced and defined. If you have a super o you will know. My first prostate awareness was the all day low level orgasms that after 8+ hours were a real distraction! But orgasms nonetheless. Can't see anyone else saying they had all day orgasms here.

I wish I could ask you @teejay what technique you use to get that feeling of coming like sex but with no ejaculation as if the orgasm is like my traditional ones it would send me inter-dimensionally to every point in the universe in terms of pleasure....

Your description turns me on and desire for wanting the same is almost unbearable, it's why I have continued with my journey even after such terrible results, the desire for that feeling of being in orgasm for more than a few seconds is too amazing not to try for, it's why I get so devastated when I don't get it, I've had to violate my own rules where sex is concerned to get so far very little, so I feel every right to be angry when nothing does happen. I won't give up though until I get what you experience.

Everyone is different, which the aneros makers don't seem to realise/acknowledge or everyone that shove pd their piece of plastic up their ass would be super o-ing until the apocalypse.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

How does one know if one has not had an orgasm? 😕

ReplyQuote
(@darkengine)

Ah, great topic - thank you for bumping this Rumel!My orgasms, in this case, would be this build up of excitement - though it's not necessarily always pleasurable, it's definitely close to what people define an orgasm as such. Reading these posts help me to realise that yes - in fact, I have p-waves all the time. My concerns in this case may simple be a draught on arousal (but wanting great moments to happen anyway)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

How can an orgasm not be pleasurable? That is like saying sugar is bitter.

ReplyQuote
(@ineverknew)
Noble Member Customer

Trying to explain an orgasm to someone else is alot like describing say the color red to someone. Your red may not be the same as my red and vice versa. Mine might be a lighter red whereas yours might be a darker red, maybe a little more blue, maybe a little more yellow. Think about it for a minute. There are millions of shades of the color red, and we would probably never agree perfectly. I think all of us here trying to compare our orgasms is the same scenario.

ReplyQuote
(@darkengine)

How can an orgasm not be pleasurable? That is like saying sugar is bitter.

Mostly because it numbs out, I think. It's happening, and my muscles express contractions and such typical to it, I just can't pick up on the sweet sensations. It's usually what would happen with 'dud' sessions.Mood probably has a big part in it - even sex in general, if you're not with it, can feel stale and lacklustre.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

@DarkEngine

I've had some substandard pussy, in my time; but never a bad orgasm or a numb orgasm. And I have never had a dud session with my Progasm or Progasm Jr.

ReplyQuote
(@inhope)
Member Adventurer

I've had orgasms that are not as good as others sure, the nicest parts of aneros use has resulted in pleasure that is half as good as a poor traditional orgasm for me, sadly...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

@inhope

Since I started using Aneros, my testicular based orgasms have become more pleasurable. I do not rate my orgasms. I feel my orgasms fall into two categories: (1) Testicular based and (2) Prostate based. When I have the #2 category orgasm, I feel it from my Root Chakra to my Heart Chakra. When I have a #1 category orgasm, I only feel it in my Root Chakra. But I still have never had a bad orgasm.

ReplyQuote
(@gilman)
Member Adventurer

I, too, can relate my Aneros use to opening of Chakras. I knew nothing of them before, but now meditate on each as I relax into the Aneros sessions. I am aware of the root and sacral chakras and feel that these energies help me have very pleasurable orgasms with my Aneros. I wish more was written about this by folks more knowledgeable of the chakras than I am.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

@Gilman
IMO. Most guys don't get good results, or take long periods of time get any results, or stay on a plateau, because of blocked Chakras.

ReplyQuote
(@bigglansdc)
Member Adventurer

Hi @Gilman,

I find your Aneros use in opening up the chakras intriguing.

Can you tell us what Aneros models you use to do all this?

A couple years ago, I took a couple classes on Kundalini Yoga. Besides focusing on the various Kundalini breathing exercises and asanas, we touched upon the role of the chakras in Kundalini Yoga.

You may be aware also that in Kundalini Yoga you awaken the Kundalini "coiled" or serpent energy which travels up your spine (I think) up to your crown chakra.

Just now, I see @Pspotsquirter has written something useful on the chakras and orgasms which I find fascinating!

Thom./BigGlansDC

ReplyQuote
(@gilman)
Member Adventurer

I use several models and find success with each. They are the helix, my first, the eupho and the larger peridise set. I often smoke a tiny bit of pot, which relaxes me and puts me in touch with my inner self.

I breath in and out and focus successively on each chakra starting at the root. I think the chakras are basically related to the endocrine system and as such, the prostate and testes clearly are involved in the root and sacral chakra. By keeping my attention on the sensations of this general body area the o's begin to emerge.

I don't understand it all but know that the sensations are real and mindblowingly pleasurable.

I can focus my mind on the other chakras but the pleasure zones related to the aneros are located at the root and sacral chakra area.

I am interested in learning more as I can tell these energy zones are real and clearly related to mind body sensations.

ReplyQuote
(@clenchy)
Prominent Member Customer

When it comes to "what is an orgasm" the aneros has certainly blurred the lines for me.
The one thing I carry over from traditional experiences is what (I think) the Wiki described as a sense of suspension.
I think of it like riding a roller-coaster along a curve that describes the intensity of pleasure - you can go high, and still be on the track, but the orgasm is when the cart crests a hill and lifts off into the air... out of control and above the height usually reachable while still on the track.
This is my experience of it anyway, the vast majority of the time, the pleasure I get in sessions is controllable, or at least requires my continued attention. Orgasm events feel as if something else is happening, something outside of my control has taken over and is having its way.
I think the aneros has a higher altitude roller-coaster than a traditional orgasm, but some of the principles are the same. At least that's the idea I'm experimenting with lately.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Skip to toolbar